[erlang-questions] Question on building a Parallel Server

Tue Jan 27 15:43:44 CET 2015

Hello

As I learn from Programming Erlang, the following is a way to create a
parallel server

  start_parallel_server() ->
{ok, Listen} = gen_tcp:listen(...), spawn(fun() -> par_connect(Listen) end).

par_connect(Listen) ->
{ok, Socket} = gen_tcp:accept(Listen), spawn(fun() -> par_connect(Listen)
end), loop(Socket).

I wanted to dissect this code to understand what's going on.

*Questions*

   1. When we call *start_parallel_server() * on a single machine, a
   separate process is started (which is controlling process?) executing
   *par_connect*, correct?
   2. When *gen_tcp:accept* accepts a new connection, immediately a new
   process is created executing *par_connect(Listen)*. This makes sure that
   we can accept more requests from the client. Now who is the controlling
   process for this new process? is the same as Listen?

Thanks
+ Harit Himanshu